PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN – Bessemer, Alabama
Provide the full scope of primary care services which fall under his/her field of training, including but not limited to diagnosis, treatment, coordination of care, preventive care and health maintenance to patients. In addition, a Primary Care Physician is a member of the Aletheia House team. In that capacity they are expected to be familiar with the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Agency and work collaboratively to achieve them. They must be cognizant of, and comply with, all Health Center policies and procedures, as well as pertinent state and federal regulations. The Primary Care Physician works closely with the Health Services Director.
Location of Position: Mobile Health Unit, Bessemer Neighborhood Health Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center
1. Provides comprehensive medical services to patients presenting for care at BNHC and the Mobile Health Unit; examines patients, using medical instruments and equipment.
2. Where indicated, obtain complete medical history and physical data on patients. Establishes diagnosis. Reviews patient’s records.
3. Perform clinical services to patients who present with illness or disease, including minor surgical procedures.
4. Orders or executes various tests and diagnostic images to provide information on patient’s condition.
5. Reviews incoming reports (e.g., lab, x-ray, EKG) signs, dates and follows-up in a timely manner.
6. Inoculates and vaccinates patients to immunize patients from communicable diseases
7. Provide or directly oversee services and procedures appropriate in the outpatient setting.
8. Educate patients regarding health and illness prevention. Recommend community resources to meet patient and family needs.
9. Administers or prescribes treatments and medications, and instructs patients on proper utilization
10. Refers patients to medical specialist for consultant services when necessary for patient’s well-being
11. Adhere to established clinical protocols and procedures.
12. Assist in the updating of BNHC protocols and procedures as requested.
13. Maintain adequate and legible patient medical records in the established chart.
14. Supervise or participate in patient emergencies as required.
15. Observe all infection control procedures.
16. Fulfill HRSA and health center productivity standards, such as UDS.
17. Follow established Health Center procedures for patient billing and reimbursement.
18. Participate in staff medical education programs and patient health education activities as required.
19. Report any discrepancies, irregularities, and/or violations involving clinical care, administrative procedure, billing issues or other BNHC protocols to the appropriate personnel. 20. Maintain professional competence by completing appropriate specialty requirements of CME.
21. Maintain current certifications.
22. Participate in peer review, quality assurance, provider meetings and other clinical meetings 23. Performs responsibilities in the electronic health record including telehealth.
24. Successful completion of BNHC credentialing and privileging review upon hire and re-credentialing.
30. Work with Behavioral Health Counseling staff to provide collaborative care for patients
31. Participate as collaborating physician with nurse practitioners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of professional medical practice. Has an understanding and appreciation of the financial aspects of a healthcare organization and the need to generate sufficient resources to support the strategic goals and mission of the organization.
2. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures to administer patient care. 3. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
4. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. 5. Skill in supporting, motivating, and sustaining a team-oriented culture. Fosters teamwork and collaboration by involving the necessary staff when appropriate.
6. Skill in diagnosing and treating a wide range of adult acute and chronic diseases.
7. Skill in taking medical history, assessing medical conditions, and interpreting findings in a highly efficient manner.
8. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
9. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public.
10. Ability to demonstrate sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
11. Ability to evaluate and effectively address highly complex issues and problems.
12. Ability to maintain quality control standards.
13. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
14. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
15. Ability to communicate clearly.
16. Knowledge of reporting protocols essential to the proper functioning and operation of BNHC and the responsibility of each provider to comply with them.
1. Graduate of approved medical school.
2. Licensed to practice medicine in the State of Alabama.
3. Eligible to obtain and maintain a federal and state narcotic registration (DEA License).
4. At least 2 years proven successful experience as a practicing clinician.
5. Strong community health/public health orientation, experienced in patient care management, and demonstrates managed health care knowledge and experience.
6. Diagnoses and patient visit coding experience.
1. Familiarity with federally qualified health centers or FQHC Look–a-Likes. Experience working in a not-for-profit organization, with annual operating margin goals.
2. Experience working with low-income, multi-ethnic populations
3. Experience with patients with significant behavioral health problems complicating their medical care.
4. Graduate of an accredited residency program in family medicine, internal medicine, or internal medicine.
5. Board certified and maintains board certification, licensure, and membership in professional organizations.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to manipulate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
1. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, or other conditions common to a health center environment.
2. Participates in offering medical services from Mobile Health Unit.
$110.00 per hour
Individuals who are interested should an email with one attachment including cover letter as instructed through Indeed.com, or fax cover letter and resume to 205-203-4843. Please insert in the subject line (PH-0566).
* Please include both documents (cover letter and resume) in one attachment to be considered for candidacy. *